Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Wiki WHAT?!

This was my first time every creating a wiki, I can remember working at summer camp a few years ago and someone was talking about how they made a wiki page on themselves (to make themselves famous) and it got deleted because they were not really famous. I had never had a need to make one. I think that it was very easy to do. I went thought all the different websites that the teacher listed because this was something new to me. I think that overall it was very self explanatory; you made your page and wrote about yourself.



I had a few problems with my picture because I tried to put that in last and it didn’t want to move to where I wanted it. I ended up cutting all the information that I typed and put the picture in first and then added my words and shaped them around the picture. Other than that I was able to play with the fonts (which I wish they had a few more-but I understand not having as many because they would be too hard to read) and playing with the colors.


This whole experience was something new to me so I learned everything from how to sign up to one and then how to make my page and help edit others. I think that next time I will start with my picture first and then put in the words. I would love to try adding more than one picture and see how the spacing works and if I have to use them on one side or if I can put them in the middle and write around them.


I think that using this in my classroom will be interesting. I was in the classroom today at Tennessee School for the Deaf and we were working on learning parts of the body. The teacher had made a power point on the smart board and they were going through all the slides. I was thinking that we could have had the students come up and find the vocabulary words in Google images (but I would go through all the words first to make sure nothing nasty will come up on the board!) We could use this to paste onto the classroom wiki and then make links to other pages so as we learned about new parts of the body we can move through the pages. When we have pictures the kids and each write the labels for the item and a sentence about what they learned to practice English. Then we can share this with another grade or other teachers to showcase all our work. The kids love using the internet and computers and this is a way that we can incorporate learning into the computers. Some of the students that I would work with need more help so maybe I can pair them with a higher achieving student and monitor to make sure they are both sharing the work and getting what they need to succeed.


I think this was an interesting experience because I would have never used this if I wasn’t in the class and I would have never thought about the different ways I can incorporate this into my classrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment