Friday, September 24, 2010

"Talk" With Me - WebQuest

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to find a WebQuest that related to the Deaf Education field. The project that I thought was best, was "Talk" With Me. This WebQuest is geared towards deaf students and making a "welcome packet" for hearing students that have never used sign before. This not only helps to teach my students about the history of the Deaf culture but equips them with communication tools they need when interacting with hearing people! 



This project has the students working in groups to create a pamphlet or power point that has information about being deaf, about sign language and a copy of the manual alphabet. This site has many links and pictures (all the links work). Some of the links go to worksheets that the students print off and fill out so as they research they have all the information at the end to make the project. The second part of the project is for them to teach some signs to this "new hearing classroom." With this they have the option to create a video or a book with the signs they would teach. This is a great use of technology because all the links work and the students are using the internet to look up information. They are using a video camera to record their words, as well as power point to make a project. This project has them work in groups so they are using team work. They have to pick out the most important aspects and signs to share so this uses higher order thinking. This activity is a good use of time because they are learning what is important and not spending tons of time on the project. 


This went well on finding a WebQuest, but I had to use the "garden" search on the website because the word search is down. That took me more time than I wished to find something that is in my field. As a teacher I would have made sure that the links all worked when I told the class to use the search so that I wouldn't have them wasting time looking around. This was one of the first few that I found so it was not hard after I got to that point. 


I had never heard of WebQuest before so this activity introduced me to a new site that I can use. I think that this is very helpful because all the lessons are made, even if you do not like one you can change it so that it fits your classroom better. This can help with planning and new ideas to keep the classroom fun! 


I think that I am going to use this in my classroom even if it is not exactly what the lesson online says. I can use it to get my ideas and find a great activity that promotes higher order thinking, technology use, group work and is worth their time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment